Featured Post

Lockrum Isle and Old Dubrovnik

The Croatian Flag flying on the battlements The mini-adventure on the Montenegro ferry was fun, so the following day we took another fer...

Friday, September 28, 2007

40th Annual Native American Day Celebration


The Color Guard at the Opening Ceremony



Only worked 3 hours; spent most of the day doing my docent thing on the north lawn at the State Capital. I worked the cash register for theState Indian Museum. We had SIM t-shirts, mugs. Also we had working facsimiles of Indian pump drills (left photo) and elderberry clapper sticks for sale - great crowd pleasers, especially at only ten bucks each.

But oh how I sucked at the cash register! Normally I have no problems at all, but at the end of the day the cash register showed that we’d made $10K, though that must have been in Pesos – in real $ we made a little over $400. Yikes! I guess I was a tad distracted chatting with the visitors and watching the wonderful traditional dancers.

2 comments:

  1. I have one. Do you remember? We were, oooo! I'm not sure, but it was a tourist shop,they had a workable sample of one which motivated my purchase.We stood on a mound which housed original grinding hole's, by what tribe, I don't remember. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember! That was at Indian Grinding Rock State Park near Volcano Calfornia. We sat around in a small roundhouse and had a lovely heart-to-heart while Chiquilla napped under the bench.

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Indian+Grinding+Rock+State+Park,+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

    ReplyDelete