Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Saturday, July 29, 2023

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right

OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with its presence. I get positively giddy with excitement hearing live Hawaiian music, and so close to home. I wonder if it's fair to say I'm homesick for Hawaii though I've never lived there, lol!

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right

My head is spinning with all the interesting things we were told. Hula elder, Mokihana Melendez who hales from the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Her dance career began at the age of two. Her training in Hawaiian chanting began at the age of five. Now she is an honored elder, who teaches Hula. I wish she had a dance studio here in Sequim.

On to lively, non-traditional Hula
'I was today years old' when I found out that although the many Hawaiian islands share similar dances, songs, etc., each Hawaiian island has its own 'flavor' of culture and traditions. So today we heard one of the company give us an island chant, the meaning of which was explained to us. 


The young women performed one dance which the keiki - children - were taught refers to blushing cheeks. That is a double meaning because the alternate meaning of the song title,  refers to red cheeks, of the sort that can be sat upon!  The keiki may have been curious as to why their elders thought it was funny hear them perform the song, but the keiki would not ask why the laughter. That is because the  keiki were taught to do as they were told and not ask questions. Hum... sounds when I was a kid, I must have been a keiki too.
 

Just as last year, this year the show ended with anyone who wished to, could get up and have a Hula lesson. I LOVE dancing Hula. This was my 3rd ever chance to dance non-traditional Hula and I am chagrinned to say, unlike my previous lessons, this year I absolutely could not keep up with the dance! That rather surprised me, but oh well, there's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment