Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Blimey, It's Mary Poppins!

I have had a soft spot in my heart, and arguably, my noggin, for Mary Poppins ever since I saw the Disney movie back in the day. Then just this past January I saw the newest Poppin project, Saving Mr. Banks with my friend Nancy. Even with the occasional inaccuracy of the true story, we both loved the movie and performances. Who knew Poppin's author, P.L. Travers was an Aussie in the outback? It was fun sitting next to Nancy in the darkened theater, while she choked back an emotional breakdown over the movie sentiments that hit quite close to home for her. I was so curious about the musical. How would a movie musical be transferred to the stage?

Mary Poppins the stage musical was a double header for me, as I ushered at the dress rehearsal last Sunday and its final show last night. I flat out loved it, and watching it twice did nothing to decrease my enthusiasm. The changes made between the musical movie, and the musical play was enough of a spoonful of sugar (the book) to get that medicine down smoothly down my throat. Certainly a bit of sugar might have helped as I sung to my throat a bit raw, through the whole of the play. Those of the stage songs I knew from the movie. There were lots of clever new songs for the stage.

The local Sacramento kids in the play, the Banks family and the other citizens of old London were funny, lively of foot and hell - this clip, courtesy of the Music Circus should put you in the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious mood I'm talking about. Cheers Luv!

No comments:

Post a Comment