Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Monday, July 28, 2008

My Other Potter Obsession



I have distinct memories of when I was in first grade or so, of the closet of the narrow front hall our Bronx home. The closet had no door, only a drapery curtain, the same as every other closet in our 2 bedroom flat. But in the closet on a top shelf where I couldn't reach, and when I was a very good girl, my mother would climb up there to fetch my reward; The Tale of Peter Rabbit.

I loved the story, not just because getting to read it was a humongous sort of kid reward, but because Peter was a naughty rabbit and I was fascinated by the final lines of the tail... I mean, tale... which take place after Peter was so bad that he lost his shoes and jacket in Mr McGregor's garden.

"I am sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening. His mother put him to bed and made some camomile tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter! "One teaspoonful to be taken at bedtime." But--Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper."

To this day, if you want to get on my good side, read a few lines from The Tale of Peter Rabbit, or maybe just offer me bread, milk and blackberries for supper.

I have GOT to bake some blueberry bread pudding...

4 comments:

  1. I've perfected my blueberry pie. I would sure like the recipe for blueberry pudding. Tee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm STILL drooling over the thought of blueberry bread pudding. Your grandfather was the one who used to bake it when he was in the mood. He added raisins to it. Did you know he made the best apple pie I've ever eaten? He added raisins AND rum to it! Honestly, he could have entered it in a county fair and won a ribbon. Shoot - if I could bake I would enter a raisin-rum apple cake in the State Fair! *is an idea hatching???*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thats where I get my talent. Thanks grandpa and you for the bits of info mom doesnt know. I love you, gimme that recipe. Or I'll have to drool on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha! But there was no recipe for the apple pies or bread puddings! Your grandpa would just whip it up by memory, just like your grandma used to whip up her Coconut Bread!

    I cheated - used a recipe I got on line for bread pudding - it had 4 eggs (to up the protein/sugar ratio), 1/2 had raisins, the other half had blueberries. Will find the recipe and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete