Featured Post

Lockrum Isle and Old Dubrovnik

The Croatian Flag flying on the battlements The mini-adventure on the Montenegro ferry was fun, so the following day we took another fer...

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Missed the first two plays of the Music Circus season (don't ask) but should catch the last few. Last night I saw Annie - the musical based on the comic strip. I'd say it was an ancient strip, but I remember it from my childhood so I'll shut-the-eff-up. The most memorable thing about Annie was I seldom see so many little girls all in one place. Everyone and their mother brought along their ensie daughters, nieces, friend's daughters, & any other creature in mary-janes and a frilly dress they could get stuff into a car. On the other hand, little boys however were in very short supply; don't think I saw two all evening.

Great little play, it was nicely performed and the lead kid, Annie had a tremendous voice. One of the other ushers suggested the young actress was actually a 45 year old torch singer stuffed into a kid's suit costume. For me the main thing about Annie the musical is - no surprise here - the music. My favorite is the tough Hard Knock Life, and the runner-ups being Something was Missing and Maybe, both of which get me all misty. Oh, and mustn't forget Sandy the dog (a male dog). Sandy was played by a big old bitch mutt named Lola. With a name like that, old Lola was bound to end up on the stage.

2 comments:

  1. Flippant Comment #1:

    I still chuckle when I think about Carol Burnett's gutsplitter role as Hannigan in the '81 screen version...

    Bryan

    (Yes, as in Stuckeycrew: Hi, Claire...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi back at 'cha Bryan! Welcome. Come on in and set a spell. Take your shoes off.

    Yes, I loved Carol in that! She'll always be my favourite Hannigan, belting out 'Little Girls'. HAHAHAHA!

    Y'all come back now, hear? : D

    ReplyDelete