Did you miss...?

Aurora on the Home Front

Northern Lights seen here in Sequim! May 10th and the Northern Lights popped by for a visit. I am happy to see them, but honestly, how DARE ...

Friday, November 24, 2023

Amboseli National Park, Part II and Goodbye Mother Africa

Mount Kilimanjaro - Kenya's sleepy volcano
I've seen the 'Big Five', i.e., Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Lion & Leopard & I birded for all I am worth. It has been a soul changing visit to the land of my ancestors - my first trip to Africa & surely not the last. This wonderous trip ends tomorrow.

Blabber aside, today's agenda was checking out Amboseli. 
Cattle Egrets, now commonly found
in North America accompany elephants
You never know where you'll spot Hyenas - this pair are enjoying a post-mud bath snooze.

Hippos - notoriously dangerous - trot about like tanks on parade
Yellow Baboons 

Impala

My favorite - a happy Cheetah
If ONLY I could have one for a pet, like the Egyptians of old
Wha... you talking to me?


Water Thick-knee

Great White Pelicans

Gray-crowned Crane

Western Yellow Wagtail

White-faced Whistling Ducks

African Spoonbill

Long-toed Lapwing

Black-winged Stilt

African Jacana

African Jacana

Malachite Kingfisher

White-bellied Bustard

Have to say, I grew up in a time when Africa was either a National Geographic special or old Tarzan movies. As a kid the version of Africa I was shown frightened me. As a kid, I was afraid of most insects and was certain there back then a trip to Africa would be terrifying with insects the size of guinea pigs. That view of Africa presented to me was so, so very wrong. All I have seen of the continent from North Africa down to Tanzania, is heart poundingly gorgeous and the only insects I have seen on this vast continent were butterflies. I wish more than anything that my first trip overseas had been to Africa. Ila and I will be on a jet headed home tomorrow. I can't wait to come back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment