Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Monday, November 28, 2022

Excursion Time: Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim Norway

Nidaros Cathedral, Norway

This morning I was up and finally, off the good ship Richard With. Ila and I were on a bus and off on an excursion to visit the town of Trondheim, with the Nidaros Cathedral as the main focus. The massive stone building dates all the way back to the cathedral's completion date in the ridiculously ancient year of 1300. It took 280 years for the cathedral to be deemed 'done'. Mind, the building has suffered many fires over the years, so bits of the cathedral have been destroyed then rebuilt. 

A host of saints line the front of the cathedral

The tour was lead by a knowledgeable & robed tour guide. The basics were the cathedral was founded when king, and later Saint Olav was buried on the site where the cathedral was placed. The build took a bit over 2 centuries to complete. I know! The second fascinating fact to me is the cathedral is open for use by any denomination. From Lutheran, to Protestant, Catholic and whomever: all locals can command use of the cathedral. 

Heads up - dizzying view overhead inside cathedral
Wagner Organ, with golden pipes above - circa 1741









Stone baptismal Font, circa 1905

Knock, knock... who's there? Meg! 

Marble flooring with medieval creatures of reality and fantasy


A beautiful building next to the cathedral, houses one of my favorite things - the gift shop! Once again I restrained myself, not buying anything because, well, I have enough 'stuff' to last for the rest of my life. 

Stunning Christmas ornaments for sale
Classy Toy medieval helmets, and weaponry

Facing the square in front of the cathedral was this glass window, featuring children's artwork, transformed into a striking stained glass whatchamacallit.


Detail...in case you doubt it is kid's artwork

At some point, after having tramped through the cathedral's back rooms, and after viewing the beautiful souvenirs, I realized, I couldn't spot anyone else from the tour. WTH? Yeah, I had missed the tour bus departure. In full panic mode I raced to the bus area - my bus was absent. I ended up in the gift shop where I was assured 'No big deal, you'll be back on the boat with much time to spare'.' That was true enough. The kindly lady clerk called a cab for me. As I was assured, made it back to the ship before Ila and the rest of the tourists returned. Don't tell anyone I told you that! Sooo embarrassing (and quite the adventure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment