Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Monday, September 10, 2012

Alas, the Final Chicken Chat

My widdle butter cups
It was three years ago this week that I opened the special delivery box and saw my little girlies, all fluffy and yellow and LOUD.

Eventually I managed a sweet little flock of five poofy hens, that were more company than you'd think. However... one fact was a fly in the ointment -  I think the girls chased the fly down and ate it, but bare with me here... I retired. When I got my hens I thought retirement was several years off, but within a few months of getting hens, I was out of the work force, and every day was Saturday. Found myself with loads of time to travel and play, lots of vacation plans but no desire to leave my hens. True, I had a neighbor who was kind enough to take care of the hens for a few days at a time. If I planned a trip longer than five days I drove my flock 4 hours south to Monterey where my friend Barbara could care for them. Still, I knew something had to change.

So, after much soul searching - and TONS of guilt - I decided it was time to find new homes for the girls. I broke the news to them.

"Adele... Babette. Mommy has to tell you something. Where are your sisters?


There you are, Lucy, Godiva. Where's Dove?


There you are Dove my love.  Now. You all have to understand, Mommy loves you, and she values your contribution to the household - your eggs are AWESOME, but..."

Long story short, Robin,  who runs Meridian Ranch was sweet enough to find homes for all of the girls. Their new hen-Mamas are lovely folk and my girls... I mean, their girls, are going to be happy and spoiled. And I gotta tell you, I'm going to miss those fresh eggs and that happy chicken song.


No comments:

Post a Comment